The Man who bought $540 of Girl Scouts cookies arrested on federal drug charges
Mother Kayla Dillard had shared the photo on Facebook, saying the man paid $540 in cash for all the girls’ cookies so they could escape the cold outside a store near Greenville, South Carolina. She said she didn’t get the man’s name. and The story has taken a dark turn..
- Conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute controlled substances.
- Conspiracy to import controlled substances.
- Conspiracy to commit bulk cash smuggling ($1,004,665.00).
- Interstate travel and transportation in aid of drug trafficking business.
- Possession with intent to distribute and distribution of heroin.
- Maintaining a drug-involved premise.
- Conspiracy to structure transactions to evade reporting requirement.
- Three counts of unlawful use of a communication facility.
McGowan was taken into custody at his home in South Carolina, the local DEA told WSPA-TV. Cash, as well as other assets, were seized by U.S. Marshals. He stood before a judge Tuesday afternoon. He currently remains in the custody of the U.S. Marshals but will face a bond hearing Friday.
The arrest was the result of a long-term federal drug investigation, beginning last fall and spanning out of the state of South Carolina, DEA Resident Agent Mike Rzepczynski told WSPA-TV.
Officials of the Girl Scouts of South Carolina-Mountains to Midlands gave a statement to WSPA-TV: “Nobody was hurt. Nobody was threatened,” said the unnamed officials. “We had no reason to believe that this man was anything other than one of our valuable customers that is helping Girl Scouts power awesome experiences through the Girl Scout Cookie Program. This is now in the hands of law enforcement and of course, we will cooperate with authorities.”
McGowan’s image went viral this week when a grinning photo of him with two girl scouts in Greenville, South Carolina, was posted Friday to Facebook by Kayla Dillard, the troop’s “cookie manager.” The post, which appears to have since been removed, lauded the stranger for his kind deed.